Second Otago Classic Rally victory for Ayson
- 23 August 2016
- Posted by radmin
- Leave your thoughts
Derek Ayson and Greg Scott have claimed their second consecutive Dunlop International Classic Rally of Otago victory, with a 21.9 second triumph in their Nissan-powered Ford Escort.
Ayson totally dominated the event, winning 11 of the 16 special stages
over the two days of the rally in fine, warm and dusty conditions.
The second day of the event was drama free at the top of the Classics
leader board, with Regan Ross maintaining his second place in his Ford
Escort RS1800, while Italian star, Piero Liatti, finished third in
another BDA Escort.
Liatti, with fellow Italian Fabrizia Pons calling the pacenotes,
overhauled the Vauxhall Chevette of Jeff Judd and Mark Tapper on the
final day, moving over three minutes clear.
If fifth place after a great drive was Shane Murland and John Benton in
another Ford Escort RS1800, while Stewart Reid and Iain Stewart were the
first of the Australian competitors home, in sixth place.
Further down the field there was lots of drama. Robert Van Gisbergen had
been seventh in his Ford Escort RS1800, but retired when the rear wheel studs stripped and he lost a rear wheel just 1.5 kilometres from the end of the final stage.
Others to strike event-ending problems included Darryn Snooks (Stanza)
with fuel problems; Fats Liddle (Escort) off road; Mark Laughton
(Avenger) diff; John Spencer (Datsun) headgasket; Mike Conway (Escort)
2010 Dunlop International Rally of Otago
1. Derek Ayson / Greg Scott, Ford Escort FJ2000, 2h40m42.0s
2. Regan Ross / Darren Galbraith, Ford Escort RS1800, +21.9s
3. Piero Liatti / Fabrizi Pons, Ford Escort RS1800, +5m08.4s
4. Jeff Judd / Mark Tapper, Vauxhall Chevette HSR, +8m24.9s
5. Shane Murland / John Benton, Ford Escort RS1800, +10m15.3s
6. Stewart Reid / Iain Stewart, Datsun 1600, +10m15.3s
7. Ron Davey / Ross Gordon, Ford Escort, +17m58.5s
8. Tony Johnston / Heather Johnston, Ford Capri V8, +22m10.5s
9. Tony Aimers / Jeremy Aimers, Fiat Abarth 131, +23m39.4s
10. Miles McElwain / Brian Johnson, Toyota Corolla, +24m33.8s