Paddon, Ayson take Rally of Otago titles
Hayden Paddon has won day two of the DriveSouth Rally of Otago by the slender margin of 3.5 seconds, giving him two wins in two days in his Subaru Impreza WRX.
Dean Sumner (Mitsubishi) put in an awesome drive on the final 47km
stage, but fell just short, with Chris West third in his Mitsubishi
Lancer a further 11 seconds in arrears.
Emma Gilmour suffered significant underbody damage and right rear
suspension damage after going through a fence on the McIntosh Road
stage. She exited the stage dragging 30 metres of fencing with a right
In the International Classic Rally of Otago, Ari Vatanen lead by a
minute going into the final stage, but unluckily retired with mechanical
problems with victory in sight.
This allowed Derek Ayson to take his third straight win in the event,
ahead of Australian Jeff David and local driver, Duncan McCrostie.
More news, photos and videos to follow.
Day 2 results, DriveSouth Rally of Otago
1. Hayden Paddon, John Kennard, Subaru STI, Geraldine, 1:10m5.6s
2. Dean Sumner, Paul Fallon, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX, Rotorua, +3.5s
3. Chris West, Erin Kyle, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX, Timaru, +14.4s
4. Richard Mason, Sara Mason, Subaru STI, Masterton, +27.4s
5. Glenn Inkster, Glenn Goldring, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX, Auckland, +1m17.3s
Day 2 results, International Classic Rally of Otago
1. D. Ayson / G. Scott, Ford Escort FJ2000, 2h49m56.0s
2. J. David / G. Geelan, Porsche 911, +2m14.0s
3. D. McCrostie / M. Marshall, Nissan Bluebird Turbo, +2m28.4s
4. A. Ruddenklau / M. McFarlane, Ford Escort, +8m16.5s
5. R. Wylie / S. Jenkinson, Nissan 240 RS, +9m07.6s